July 21, 2011

Days of 47 Float Preview

South Jordan Country Crossing Float
 I'm a native Utahn.  I've lived in New Jersey and Arizona and visited every state except for Alaska, Hawaii and Maine.  But, no matter where I live or visit, I always miss Utah when I'm away.  There are so many things I love about this state:  the mountains, the desert, the red rock, the dry heat, the snow in the winter.  But the thing I love the most....Pioneer Day!!! I remember lamenting the loss of a second holiday in July when we lived in New Jersey.  Even though I was an adult with children, I couldn't imagine why everyone didn't celebrate Pioneer Day.  After all, I'd celebrated it my whole life!
Everyone hold hands to walk into the Expo
So it was with a lot of excitement, that we all went to the South Towne Expo to see some of the floats that will be in the Days of 47 parade!  I think I infected the children with that same excitement, because they were  bouncing and jumping while we were waiting to leave.

We were a little early, but there was plenty to see
 No one really knew what a float was.  Xander and Reggie had a vague idea that it was something in a parade that people threw candy from.  But, we were hard pressed to describe what a float was. 





Kung Fu Panda float
But, then we saw them, Oh BOY!....There was a Kung Fu Panda, a couple of dragons, spaceships that went up and down, cars that squealed their tires and smoked, fish, waterfalls, mermaids.  It was incredible!  We saw clowns, and Santa, a marching band, fishing pond and got our faces painted.

We certainly had a great start to our holiday weekend!



We loved the chinese dragon float
We had to wait a few minutes to get our faces painted



Reggie didn't know he was a cowgirl


Hailey get's to be the cowgirl she really is
Who's that with Emmy?  Just a float behind her :)
Even baby Gabby had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment